Thursday, December 24, 2009

Heliogenna Day Eight

Heliogenna Day Eight
Thursday, December 24, 2009

On this cold December day I come to you o Gods above
You who dwell in splendor and laughter divine
Grant us a year of light and learning
Grant us a year of prosperity and peace
Grant us a year full of love and laughter

I pray thee Zeus, Lord on high
Do not take too heavily from the pot of evils
But grant me a year of well being

On this cold December day I come to you o Gods below
You who dwell in the darkness of the Earth
Grant us a year of prosperity and peace
Grant us a year of bountiful harvests and feasts
Grant us a year of life, that we may live it to the fullest

I pray thee Hades, Lord far beneath
Silently watch but do not come for me
I will, as all mortals must, pass on soon enough

On this cold December day I come to you o Goddess of the Hearth
You who dwells among us
Grant that me and mine be guarded from evil
Grant that I may understand the world around me
Grant that I not hide from what frightens me

I pray thee Hestia, Lady of the Hearth
Guard me and protect me
But not so strongly that I fail to live this rich life the Gods have allowed me


___


Along with this poem, I am writing short bits on lightly scented burning paper to each of the Gods as I know them. A short wish, a thank you, a tiny poem, and then tonight when the sun sets I will burn them in a small wrought iron urn I bought. The paper will burn almost instantly in the flame of the oil candle I will set inside the urn. Should you be doing this with others, a good idea is to use very light tissue paper a kin to smoking paper, which burns quickly and does not produce flying embers.

Tomorrow is the last day of Heliogenna, and I hope if anyone out there has been following me in this they have had a good time of it in whatever way they decided to proceed. Think of tomorrow as the New Year’s blast part of this festival. Drink, party, hell, grab your loved one and make some noise, if you know what I mean. The Sun is returning.

No comments: